For candidates and committees that register with OCPF

Depository Candidates and Committees
Candidates for the statewide offices, House, Senate, county and district offices, Governor's Council, mayor, city council and alderman seats in cities with 65,000 or more in population, political action committees, and the state political party committees. Read more
  • The Statewide Offices: The constitutional offices of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, State Secretary, State Treasurer or State Auditor.
  • County and Disctrict Offices: County Clerks of Court, Commissioners and Treasurers; Registers of Deeds and Probate; District Attorneys; Sheriffs and Suffolk County Clerks of the Superior and Supreme Judicial Courts.
  • Governor's Council: One of the eight district seats of the Executive Council.
  • Legislative: House and Senate candidates.
  • All Mayoral Candidates
  • City Councilors:This includes the communities of Boston, Brockton, Cambridge, Fall River, Framingham, Haverhill, Lawrence, Lowell, Lynn, Malden, New Bedford, Newton, Quincy, Somerville, Springfield, Waltham & Worcester.
  • Political action committees. (People's committees must organize and operate as political action committees for six months before they can seek a change of status.)
  • The state committees of political parties organized under M.G.L. chapter 52, section 1.

Non-Depository Candidates and Candidate Committees
Candidates for Barnstable Assembly of Delegates

Statement of Organization: CPF 101.

Segregated fund accounts Legal defense, recount and inaugural funds
On behalf of candidates or committees who register with OCPF
  • Statement of Organization: CPF 101 SFA
  • Notice of Dissolution: Segregated Fund Account CPF 18E

Independent expenditure political action committees
Statement of Organization: CPF 101 IEPAC

Ward, town and city political party committees
Statement of Organization: CPF 101 WTC

State ballot question committees
Statement of Organization: CPF 101 BQ
Initial Report: CPF 102 BQ

People's Committees
  • Statement of Organization: A people's committee must organize as a PAC (see above) and must be in existence for at least six months before seeking a change of status.
  • Declaration of Status: PAC becoming a People's Committee: Form CPF 101 DS-1
  • Declaration of Status: People's Committee becoming a PAC: Form CPF 101 DS-2

Changing Treasurer?

If you have a change in your committee's treasurer, you will need to download and complete one of these forms:

For candidates and committees registered with OCPF:
Change of Treasurer/Acceptance of Office by New Treasurer - CPF T 101
For candidates and committees registered with their local election officials:
Municipal Change of Treasurer/Acceptance of Office by New Treasurer - CPF M T 101

There is important information you need to know about a change in treasurer for your committee. Read more...

The office of Treasurer is vital to an organized political committee. Under the campaign finance law, no money or anything of value can be received and no expenditures or disbursements can be made by a political committee (or any person acting under the authority of or on behalf of a political committee) while it has no treasurer.

An appointed treasurer must be in place prior to the time a political committee files its Statement of Organization with OCPF since the treasurer's name and address must appear on the completed form.

A treasurer is appointed, or qualified, for his or her office by filing a written acceptance of the office with OCPF (or if organized for the purpose of a city or town election only, with the city or town clerk).

The treasurer remains subject to all the duties and liabilities imposed by the campaign finance law until his or her written resignation of the office is received or his successor's written acceptance is filed with OCPF (or the city or town clerk). The treasurer is primarily responsible for:

  • authorizing expenditures made on behalf of the political committee;
  • keeping detailed accounts of the campaign finance activities of the political committee;
  • keeping and preserving detailed records of the campaign finance activities of the political committee; and
  • preparing and filing required campaign finance activity reports.

If a political committee needs to appoint a new treasurer, the former treasurer should submit a written letter of resignation to the political committee. The political committee should appoint a new treasurer who will complete and sign a CPF T 101: Change of Treasurer form. The political committee must submit the change of treasurer form and a copy of the former treasurer's resignation letter to OCPF (or the town or city clerk) within ten days following the change.

Care must be taken when selecting a new treasurer for the political committee. There are restrictions on who may serve as the treasurer for a political committee organized in Massachusetts. Those who cannot serve as the treasurer of a political committee include:

  • a public employee (one who is employed by the Commonwealth, a county or a city or town.);
  • the Secretary of the Commonwealth;
  • a city or town clerk (except those that do not administer elections);
  • a member of a board of registrars of voters in any city or town; or
  • a member of an election commission in any city or town.
  • a candidate may not be the treasurer of the political committee which has been organized on his behalf.

If you have further questions, or require additional information, please contact OCPF.

Changing Office?

If you decide to run for a different office, you need to download and complete this form:
Change of Purpose (Office Sought) CPF 101P

Once completed, return this form to OCPF or your local election official.

File Formats

All of the forms and publications on this page are in PDF file format so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, click on the icon to download the installation file at no cost.